Are you taking on a basement remodeling project? Many basements exist as mostly unusable space because of how finished (or unfinished) they are. Some basements feel dingy and dark, so you automatically don’t want to spend a lot of time down there. Basement remodeling can change all that and turn your basement into a place you will love to be. Many homeowners think that a DIY basement remodeling project is totally doable. We say, “Doable? Yes. But at what cost?” Are you willing to sacrifice your time and possibly relationships to do your basement by yourself? Hiring a contractor to help you might be the best decision you ever make. Here are just 5 ways that having a contractor will make your project easier:
- You will have someone to bounce ideas off of before you begin. An experienced contractor will be able to tell you which ideas of yours will work and which ones won’t. They may even have some ideas that you love and never would have thought of.
- A contractor will make sure everything is up to code and will pass inspections. Once you get into the plumbing and electrical of older homes, you need to replace and update anything that is not up to code.
- You may still have the flexibility to do some of the work yourself. For example, if you really want to be able to do the painting yourself, let your contractor know. He can work with you on scheduling and give you a deadline to be finished by.
- It will save you time and make your life less stressful. The biggest advantage of hiring a contractor is that your project will be finished in half the time it would have taken you to do it yourself. You also won’t have to deal with the added stress in your life of having a huge remodeling project that turns into a second job for you!
- You won’t have to do the research to find subcontractors for the jobs you don’t want to do (plumbing, electrical, sheetrock, etc.). A professional contractor will know who the best subcontractors are and can get better prices with them than you could.